Mark Oltmanns is a first-year graduate student in the School of Journalism at UC-Berkeley where he studies video production and multimedia reporting. He covers crime and public safety for Richmond Confidential. Mark grew up in and around Chicago and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with majors in Political Science, Asian Studies, and International Studies. After graduating, Mark moved to Bangkok, Thailand where he received a Blakemore Fellowship to study advanced Thai and worked as a translator in a central police station. Currently, Mark is also pursuing a Masters in Asian Studies. He has extensive experience abroad, including five years in Southeast Asia where he reported on security issues in the region. He has covered political unrest in Myanmar, landmines in Cambodia, and insurgency in southern Thailand. Mark speaks Thai and French and is currently studying Indonesian.
- The Tale of Two Cities podcast: HookedPosted
- Tale of Two Cities Podcast: Love and HeartbreakPosted
- Researchers team up to solve a ‘50-year old murder mystery’: What’s killing sharks in the...Posted
- Tales of Two Cities Podcast: Play & Self-CarePosted
- At Deja Vu Salon in Richmond, braiding allows women go ‘back to the basics’Posted