Flourless Chocolate Cake
on November 22, 2011
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, with extra for dusting
- Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 degress. Butter a 10-inch springform pan, line bottom with a round of parchment or wax paper, and butter paper.
- Melt chocolate with butter in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake until top has formed a thin crust and a wooden pick of skewer inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs adhering (about 35-40 minutes).
- Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove side of pan. Invert cake onto a plate and reinvert onto rack to cool completely.
- Dust cake with cocoa powder before serving. Can be kept in airtight container for three days.
Source: Gourmet Cookbook. Recommended by Rachel Waldholz.
All the Recipes
Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.
Please send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.