Spicy black bean soup
on November 23, 2010
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 45 oz. canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz. cans)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 14 1/2 oz. fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 10 oz. canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
- 11 oz. canned yellow corn, drained
- Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray.
- Add onion and garlic and cook on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place one can of beans in blender.
- Add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture back into stockpot.
- Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
- Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
Want to share your own recipe? Email it to email@example.com with the subject “Richmond Cooks”. Don’t forget a title, ingredients, directions, serving size, and a little about how the recipe came to you. Bon Apetit!
Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.
Please send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.