Gingered carrot soup
on November 23, 2010
This is one of the soups that impresses people the most and is one of the simplest to make. You can substitute any root vegetable in place of carrots to slightly alter the flavor. Sweet potatoes and butternut squash are great to use!
- 2 oz. butter
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped ginger
- 6 cups peeled and sliced carrots (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp curry
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, cook the ginger in the butter on low for about 2 minutes then add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Then add carrots and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the cream, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or food processor or regular blender. (If using a regular blender, fill only half way. Remove the center of the lid and cover with a towel before turning on the machine. This will prevent steam from accumulating and making an explosive reaction, kind of like a 200 degree champagne bottle exploding in your face – NOT GOOD!)
- Add cream and adjust seasoning with the salt and pepper.
- You can adjust the consistency of the soup by simmering it longer to thicken it or adding broth to thin it out.
Want to share your own recipe? Email it to email@example.com with the subject “Richmond Cooks”. Don’t forget a title, ingredients, directions, serving size, and a little about how the recipe came to you. Bon Apetit!
Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.
Please send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.