Fig tart with caramelized onions, rosemary, and stilton
on November 23, 2010
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped quite finely
- sprig rosemary
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 lb prepared puff pastry or home made( shortcrust pastry using 11.4 c flour, 8 oz. butter, about 2 tbs cold water, pinch salt – make in usual way and refrigerate for at least an hour.)
- 1 pint fresh figs, halved
- 2 oz. stilton cheese
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- In large skillet melt butter and oil
- Add onions and rosemary and cook slowly until caramelized, stirring occasionally – about 40 mins.
- Stir in vinegar to scrape up particles on bottom.
- Mix milk and egg and stir into onions. Remove rosemary sprig.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out pastry to about 11 x 17″ and place on parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Spread onions over pastry, place cut side up figs on top, then sprinkle on crumbled cheese and pine nuts.
- Bake at 400 about 30-45 minutes until bubbly and brown.
- Sprinkle with a few rosemary leaves and drizzle with honey to serve.
Want to share your own recipe? Email it to email@example.com with the subject “Richmond Cooks”. Don’t forget a title, ingredients, directions, serving size, and a little about how the recipe came to you. Bon Apetit!
Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.
Please send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.