Occupy Richmond goes marching by
on November 2, 2011
If you’re on San Pablo Avenue this morning, look around — Occupy Richmond may be marching by.
About a dozen protesters representing Occupy Richmond gathered Wednesday morning on the corner of San Pablo Ave. and Macdonald Ave., before marching down San Pablo toward Oakland City Hall. (photo by: Maggie Beidelman)
About a dozen protesters — including Mayor Gayle McLaughlin — turned out Wednesday morning to join a day of action called by protesters at Occupy Oakland. The Richmond group plans to march almost 10 miles down San Pablo Avenue to join protesters gathering in Oakland’s Frank Ogawa plaza — or, as protesters have christened it, Oscar Grant square — at noon.
“We’re small in size but we’re large in heart,” Eduardo Martinez told the group. Many of those who turned out, including Martinez, are members of the Richmond Progressive Alliance, which helped elect McLaughlin and City Council members Jeff Ritterman and Jovanka Beckles.
The dozen protesters — and five reporters — gathered at 8 a.m. in a stiff wind and under a rising sun, on the corner of San Pablo and Macdonald Avenues, where a Bank of America sits next to a Chevron gas station facing a Chase Bank — and San Pablo Avenue offers a straight shot south to Oakland. Passing drivers honked their support.
“In Richmond you have two entities most representative of the 1 percent,” said protester Juan Reardon. “You have the banks, and you have Chevron. The rest of us are the 99 percent.”
McLaughlin did not express much sympathy for her fellow progressive, Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, who has found herself in a predicament after first ordering police to evict Occupy Oakland protesters camped out in front of City Hall, and then allowing those protesters to return.
“Elected officials have to decide which side of the controversy they’re on,” McLaughlin said.
Asked what she’d do if people start camping out in Richmond’s Civic Center, the Mayor paused, noting that she hadn’t heard of any such plans. But if they do, she said, “I would support that. I would be standing with them.”
At about 8:30, the band of protesters set off down San Pablo, carrying signs and banners.
Warwick Young, who moved to Richmond 18 months ago from El Cerrito, said he came out because “I don’t see things getting any better. I see a lot of houses in foreclosure, and I don’t hear any solutions. I’m fed up.”
As they walked down San Pablo, a woman entering an office building called out, “Good morning! I wish I was with you!”
“Well, come on!” said protester Mike Parker. “It’s a general strike!”
McLaughlin said she would walk a mile or two with the protesters. The rest said they were going all the way.
Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.
Please send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[…] Rachel Waldholz is a reporter for Richmond Confidential. This story first appeared there. […]
I wish there had been more publiciity about this. I’d have walked to Oakland with them. I live in Atchison Village & am a proud Richmond resident, but so proud of the general strike on Weds
I wished I’d had a t-shirt appropriate to represent Richmond in Oakland.
I didn’t see the Richmond banner & I walked from Laney College to Downtown Oakland to the ports.
I was there fron 10:30 am – 8:30 pm.
to bad you didn’t walk with the Occupy Richmond Wall Street Solidarity Movement but we had a Big banner in front of Oakland City hall in Oscar Grant Plaza that Said occupy Richmond. but we are doing a Hugh Rally in front of Richmond City hall on Friday November 11 2011. it will be a solidarity Occupy rally and a open Mike rally so that community people can speak on how they have been affected by the Bad economy and hard times that Richmond has been going through with Foreclosures crime etc . please spred the word about it .