Convicted Richmond-San Rafael Bridge shooter admits to previous armed robberies in San Francisco
on November 14, 2012
Convicted murderer Nathan Burris admitted to jurors Wednesday during his penalty trial that he was also responsible for a string of armed robberies at Walgreens stores in San Francisco in 1994 and 1995.
Last week Burris was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder for the slaying of his ex-girlfriend, Deborah Ann Ross and her friend, Ersie Everette Jr. on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge in 2009. The jury also found him guilty of the special circumstance of lying in wait, making him eligible for the death penalty. The trial to determine his sentence began right away with the same jury.
“Had I been the prosecutor, I would’ve done a better job,” Burris said from the witness stand Wednesday morning. “I’ve done a lot of bad stuff I’m very proud of,” he added.
Burris went on to say he didn’t appreciate the events the prosecutor, Senior Deputy District Attorney Harold Jewett, had brought up during the trial—including testimony from past coworkers and employers who said Burris threatened them.
He then talked about the crimes he would have brought up if he were Jewett. “The several armed robberies I did in the city of San Francisco in 1995 and 1996,” Burris said. “They remain unresolved.”
Burris said he robbed multiple Walgreens at gunpoint and provided the court with the location of the stores, saying he got away with more than $30,000.
San Francisco Police Public Information Officer Michael Andraychak reached later in the day by telephone, said the statute of limitations on the robberies had passed and that the SFPD would not investigate them.
After less than five minutes testifying on the stand, Burris rested his case by reiterating to the jury that he’d be “content” with either life in prison or the death penalty. He did tell them, at the start of his testimony, that he recommend they act as the victims’ families wished and give him life in prison.
Under cross-examination by Jewett, Burris refused to answer any questions. He would not elaborate on the armed robberies and sat, arms crossed with a smile on his face as Jewett and Judge John Kennedy advised him to answer the questions.
Burris was excused from the stand and re-iterated to Kennedy that he was done with his defense. He said he no longer wanted to question his former employers, who had flown in from Kentucky for Burris to directly examine them.
Thursday morning Jewett and Burris will give their closing arguments.
Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.
Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.
Please send news tips to email@example.com.
i miss debbie i drive across the bridge daily to work and she was always happy smiling and sometimes even singing . she was the best toll taker there