Skip to content

Richmond pays $1.5 million to family of mentally ill man who died in police custody

on December 1, 2011

The city of Richmond agreed last week to pay $1.5 million to the family of Uriah Dach, a mentally ill man who died after a confrontation with police in 2008. Yet after three years and the finalization of the settlement, the details of what exactly happened to Dach have not been agreed upon.

Police were called to Dach’s rented room in a building on Florida Avenue after Dach, 26, reportedly threatened a female resident. The responding officer asked Dach, who was diagnosed with bipolar and schizoaffective disorder, to speak with him. Dach said some nonsensical things before going back into his room.

The Dach family’s attorney, Michael Haddad, said the first officer called for additional police backup with Taser guns because he felt that Dach was a threat. Haddad said the cops entered Dach’s room, where the young man was watching TV, and told him to show his hands. Dach started to retreat.

Uriah Dach. (photo courtesy of: Haddad & Sherwin)

“At that point, Uriah had not done anything violent, but he only disobeyed command to put his hands up,” Haddad said. “There is a special tactic for police when dealing with the mentally ill. You are supposed to talk to them and keep them calm.”

What happened next depends on whom you ask. Haddad said the officers Tased Dach for 72 seconds straight, and then after a quick break continued to Tase him again and again. He said Dach was pepper sprayed and beaten with batons, struggling to get away until he finally stumbled out the front door where he was tripped and tackled by police.

Dach, who weighed about 380 pounds, was forced to his stomach, where Haddad says he soon died of asphyxiation from his position on the ground coupled with the effects of the Taser and pepper spray.

Haddad said a private autopsy, done after an initial autopsy by a Contra Costa County forensic pathologist, revealed many levels of blunt force trauma to Dach’s head. The doctor testified in the autopsy report and in deposition that she saw bruising consistent with “at least ten blows to the head.” But the Richmond Police Department denies that any of the officers struck Dach on the head.

The RPD also disputes how long Dach was Tasered and his cause of death.

Assistant City Attorney Bruce Soublet said city experts believe Dach died of a condition called “excited delirium.”

“When you have a person who has cognitive issues, as Mr. Dach did, and who may or may not have been taking their medications, in a physical altercation they can get so excited that they can have breathing problems,” he said.

“Excited delirium” has been used to explain deaths in police custody or after the use of Tasers. But the diagnosis is controversial. Neither the American Medical Association nor the American Psychological Association recognize it as a medical or mental health condition.

Police Captain Mark Gagan said investigators from the RPD’s detective division and internal affairs, and from the District Attorney’s office, looked into the incident. None found that the officers violated policy or used an unsubstantiated amount of force.

RPD Chief Chris Magnus said in an email that there was no administrative investigation because the District Attorney’s investigation “involved extensive scrutiny and review.”

“The conclusion was that no criminal wrongdoing was found to have taken place on the part of the officers involved,” he said.

None of the officers involved in the incident were disciplined nor did the Police Commission sustain any complaint against their actions.

“Mr. Dach’s death was tragic, but not necessarily avoidable,” Magnus said. “Officers already receive training in dealing with mentally ill persons, but when they are forced to confront a violent, high-risk individual who is an active threat to others, their options can be very limited.  I have tremendous sympathy for Mr. Dach’s family, but I believe our officers did the best they could under difficult circumstances to handle a volatile person under rapidly changing circumstances.”

Haddad called the incident “one of the most egregious and sickening uses of excessive force” that he has encountered.

“Other than giving a lot of money to the family, the police department has never accepted responsibility,” Haddad said.

Assistant City Attorney Soublet said the settlement does not mean that the defendants or the city of Richmond agree with the family’s claims.

“We were geared up and ready to go trial,” he said. “In all these kinds of cases there’s an inherent risk. You may think you have a really good case and are ready to try it, but you never know what a jury can do. And if you lose these kinds of cases, not only do you lose to the plaintiff, but then you might pay their attorney’s fees.”

No official policy changes have been made to the RPD in response to the Dach case. But Gagan said Taser policies are periodically amended and Lieutenant Brian Dickerson said the department will begin selecting police officers on each patrol team to go through a specialized crisis-intervention training course.

“It’s just shy of a 40-hour class,” Dickerson said. “It’s a really comprehensive class on best practices for working with the mentally ill … It talks about different types of mental health ailments, best practices for when you approach [those with mental illness], identification of certain ailments.”

Dickerson said this is not a change in policy but, rather, a supplemental course in addition to the routine advanced training.

“I have been doing this just shy of 23 years,” Dickerson said. “It seems like every time you have an incident … we do find ways to better the industry and better the way we do things. Unfortunately, things sometimes happen. But I guess it’s positive, too, since we need the changes.”

Haddad says he is still outraged by what happened to Dach and was willing to go to trial. But, now three years after Dach’s death, the family is tired.

“This has been so painful for [the family] and to this day Uriah’s mother really can’t bear to hear what happened to him in detail, so I don’t know if they have it in them to keep fighting,” Haddad said.

The family has stated that they plan to use the money from the settlement to advocate for improved treatment of the mentally ill.


  1. Ormond Otvos on December 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

    The key to the incident is the brutal behavior of the officers, who get carried away with the need for “respect” and instant compliance from everyone they confront, no matter what the circumstances.

    It’s a vicious circle, because when there is a constant drumbeat of these kind of brutality cases, the citizens become panicky in their dealings with the police. Then the cops get panicky, instead of coolly professional. I’ve seen it many times myself. It’s as if the officers have some kind of internal bomb ticking if they don’t get absolute compliance instantly.

    It can’t be because they’re so busy, because we’ve all seen many instances of a car wreck or robbery aftermath where a dozen officers and cars stand around for hours while they chat about the latest Raider scores.

    We’re still a long way from a fully professional force. Good luck to Chief Magnuson. His work lies before him.

    • Don Gosney on December 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

      Don’t your arms get tired wielding such a large brush to tar the ENTIRE department?

      I don’t think that any department can claim that 100% of their officers are candidates for Policeman of the Year but to suggest that they’re all corrupt, lazy, irresponsible and itching for a confrontation may be unwarranted here in Richmond.

      If you watch the nightly news showing police activity at just about any of the Occupy encampments we’re seeing a lack of compliance from the Occupiers where they’re throwing items at the police, they’re pushing back at the police and they’re taking actions that would provoke most people into pushing back. On last night’s news I even saw some of the Occupiers in San Francisco pick up a steel barricade and throw it at the police officers.

      When the police officers are performing their lawfully assigned tasks, what would you suggest that they do when someone who is breaking the law gets physical against the officers?

      In this particular case, did the officers feel threatened when confronted by an agitated 380 pound person in close quarters? What do you do when you’re faced with such a situation? Do you go all Ghandi on them and preach peace?

      Much has been made about his bi-polar disorder but how were the police officers to know this at the time?

      At what point did Mr. Dach stop resisting the officers? Was this before he was tased? Before he was handcuffed?

      Personally, I’ve been very happy with the way the RPD officers have handled the numerous complaints I’ve had to file and I’m supportive of their efforts to protect me.

      And for the record, his name is Chief MAGNUS and not MAGNUSON. Getting someone’s name right is one of the first steps towards showing respect–the kind of respect that each of us is entitled to.

  2. Chris Magnus on December 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

    To write that he was “killed” is a conclusion that is in dispute. He “died.” We may disagree how he died, but it does not seem like fair reporting to say he was “killed.”

    • Lexi Pandell on December 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

      Thank you for your feedback.

      We did not mean to assign intent to the death with the use of the word “killed.” However, since we do understand that it could certainly be misinterpreted, we have changed the word in the lede from “killed” to “died.”

      • kd on December 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm

        Oh good. You CAVED and changed the wording of your story because *someone* in the story whined. Not Good Journalism. When someone dies suddenly due to a shocking event, we say; “was KILLED”. He didn’t pass of natural causes. I’m sure you learned this in Journalism 101. Even in Richmond this is true. Stand behind your stories and don’t change words because *someone* complained, otherwise don’t call it journalism.

        • Lexi Pandell on December 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm

          Thank you for your feedback.

          There are differing accounts of what happened to Uriah Dach. The change was minor and done in an effort to report the story as accurately as possible.

          • Richard Murray on December 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm

            The cops involved gave done this before. The man was killed Chris Magnus or the City, us citizens wouldn’t had to pay $1,500,000 plus who knows want else. The fact that you cone on this site and quibble over the word killed is sick. Was he beaten about the head? How long was he tazeded? Did one I the officers involve also taxer a 90 yr old man? Is it true that these officers have been promote to detective and transferred to the homicide unit?

            A man was killed by the police and nothing is being done about it. Just another day in corrupt Richmond.

  3. kd on December 7, 2011 at 9:18 am

    One word, “killed” changes the whole story. This is not a minor swaping of words.

Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.

Card image cap
Richmond Confidential

Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.

Please send news tips to

Latest Posts

Scroll To Top