Skip to content

Firefighters douse Richmond Heights blaze

on April 4, 2011

Richmond firefighters responded to a fire in Richmond Heights at 7:30 Sunday night.  Battalion Chief Erik Newman said the blaze at 5336 Sierra Avenue was accidental.  It was likely started when a lit barbecue was knocked over into the garage of the house.  The occupant was running a weedwacker in the yard, and the extension cord from the weedwacker tipped the grill.  Newman said the occupant did not hear the fire at first because he was wearing headphones.

No one was injured in the fire.  Chief Newman said the occupants spent the night at a Red Cross shelter.  He estimated the damage to the home around $75,000.

Chief Newman said the blaze was contained quickly.  “From the fire department’s standpoint, it went really well because no one was injured, but for the residents it is difficult,” he said.

Text by Christopher Connelly, photos by Veronica Moscoso.

Richmond Confidential welcomes comments from our readers, but we ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. We request that commenters consistently use the same login name. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. Richmond Confidential assumes no liability for comments posted to the site and no endorsement is implied; commenters are solely responsible for their own content.

Card image cap
Richmond Confidential

Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.

Please send news tips to

Latest Posts

Scroll To Top