- 1 package (16 ounces) phyllo dough
- 1 pound chopped walnuts
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 250. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Chop nuts into small bits. Toss with cinnamon and half of the honey.
- Unroll phyllo. Cut in half so it can fit in the pan and cover the dough with a dampened cloth to keep it from drying while you work. (Note: Everything with the phyllo must be done VERY quickly or it will dry out, crumble and rip.)
- Place two sheets of dough in pan. Brush with melted butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have eight sheets down and then cover with a thin layer of the nut mixture. Top with two more sheets of dough, butter and nuts. The top should have about six to eight sheets of phyllo.
- Cut squares with a sharp knife before baking. Bake for 50 minutes.
- While baklava is baking, boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and the rest of the honey. Simmer for about 20 mins.
- Remove baklava, spoon sauce over it and let cool.
Source: Lexi Pandell, a Greek