- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 45 oz. canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz. cans)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 14 1/2 oz. fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 10 oz. canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
- 11 oz. canned yellow corn, drained
- Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray.
- Add onion and garlic and cook on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place one can of beans in blender.
- Add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture back into stockpot.
- Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
- Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
Want to share your own recipe? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Richmond Cooks”. Don’t forget a title, ingredients, directions, serving size, and a little about how the recipe came to you. Bon Apetit!